I have to admit, getting this website and podcast set up has been a bit of a challenge for me. I have been so spoiled by working with Apple software almost exclusively for the past 7 years. Getting Wordpress, Bluehost and Libsyn all working, writing copy and prepping for podcasts has been a trip. I don't think I could have done it without my wife, Madeline helping me with all the online stuff.
This type of thing perfectly demonstrates to me how one can look at something and just want to give up because it's too much. I've seen it in my clients eyes as we start to tackle a big project, and now it's my turn again. I know Apple software and desktop apps like the back on my hand. I can download a new app and figure it out almost immediately but website, video and podcast setup is a whole different animal. This post is my pep talk to myself when I want to give up.
How to keep moving on a project when I want to give up:
- Take a deep breath, look up from the computer screen and realize I'm still ahead of the curve. I have a computer and I know how to search something on Google. I have the world at my fingertips. This isn't too hard, it's just new.
- Realize I'm frustrated about having to learn something new. Wait, say that again. I'm frustrated I have to learn something new. Change *have* to *get*. Let's try that again. I get to learn something new. Smile!
- Realize there is someone out there who is frustrated about the same thing and one day I might be able to help them through this same thing and save them the headache. (Make it about someone else to stop feeling sorry for yourself).
- Break it down. Ask what am I trying to do? Write down your objective. Eg. I want to set up my podcast with a host, link it to iTunes, and link it to my blog. Keep the objective clear, stop going on bunny trails asking what's this and that along the way. Remember what you're doing and finish that, and move to the next objective.
- Repeat "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me" over and over. I hope you click on the link and have a good laugh...
Annnnd that worked for me. Back to work trying to figure out this podcast.
What do you do to keep yourself moving when you want to quit?